Thursday, June 9, 2016

Sleep, Glorious Sleep

I've spent this week focusing on one thing: sleep. It hasn't always been successful, but I have at least made a serious effort to go to sleep early every night this week. And finally, this morning, I woke up at about 5:00 in the morning, which is to say a good forty-five minutes before my alarm was set to go off. In other words, after four days of going to bed as early as I could manage, I am finally rested enough to wake up on my own.

I'm also finally rested enough to have dreams, though I don't remember enough of the details of last night's phantasmagoria to be worth recounting.

It makes a huge and very tangible difference. My memory is much more reliable, my thinking is more flexible, and I suspect (I haven't tried it, yet) my writing is going to be vastly better, not to mention easier. I actually find all this a bit worrisome, as it says pretty clearly that I've spent the last... three months, maybe four... being massively, disablingly sleep-deprived.

Even without trying to write (and I'm still not sure if I'm ready to re-embark on any of my longer projects yet), I have a very great deal of work to do. But at least I feel like I can actually focus when I sit down to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!