Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Five Facts

Alice over at Whatsoever Is Lovely tagged me on this, and honestly I didn't have anything prepared for this morning anyway, so here goes. Five facts about myself:

1. I have a Master's Degree in English, so naturally I went into Information Technology, where my time is split between various websites and a document management system. This is why it's so important to have goals in life: the constant surprise at Things Not Turning Out The Way We Planned helps keep you on your toes.

2. In my twenties and early thirties, I collected swords. Nowadays I collect ceramic mugs. I'm not sure that I can realistically cite this as evidence of any sort of growing up. (Especially since I still have the swords. In fact, I could outfit a good-sized group in the event of the Zombie Apocalypse.)

3. My mother is paralyzed from the waist down because of a childhood case of Polio. For a long time, my parents didn't think they'd be able to have children, but they had me in their early thirties and my brother a few years later. I don't get into discussions with anti-vaxxers, because there is absolutely no way I can do so and remain even remotely civil; I go straight to frothing rage.

4. I have never broken a bone. Not mine, and not anyone else's, either. Unless we're counting chickens -- I have broken a couple of wishbones -- but I digress. In fact, I digress fairly frequently. I also pontificate and occasionally editorialize. Wait, what was I just talking about?

5. I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. (I've been at something of a loss ever since I found out that "wizard" and "superhero" weren't really options.)

As a matter of personal policy, I generally don't tag other people on these things. However, if you're so inclined, feel free to share five facts about yourself and leave a note in the comments so I can go read them.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for playing Michael:) I had no idea about your mother, how sad. I was once semi-anti vax and I can understand your frustration now with such a worldview.

    I was also an English major for the almost three semesters I went to college.

    Swords are AWESOME- nuff said.

    I've also never broken any bones and don't have any plans to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking I should write something about polio and vaccines, but... I dunno, just thinking about it makes me tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother has a degree in English, thinking he'd be a high school teacher or possibly college professor. So naturally one would expect that he would end up as a Computer Engineer.

    Anti-vaxxers. Don't even get me started. I'm so sorry about your mom.

    That makes three of us who have never broken a bone.

    Maybe, one day, when I grow up I'll decide what I want to be.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!