Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Wednesday Challenge: Talk more, people!

(This post is part of the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge. You can find links to other writers' answers over at Long and Short Reviews. I have not been following along as reliably this year as I did in previous years, but I'm still participating! Mostly.)

Prompt: Things I wish more people talked about openly

I mean... I mean... Swords. Dungeons and Dragons. Obscure boardgames. Horror movies. Any of my hobbies, really. Axolotls. 

But also, if we're being more serious, I also wish more people would talk about basic medical stuff. The sheer number of men I've known who apparently go their whole lives without really understanding how menstruation works, the sheer number of people I've known who apparently survive without having any idea how nutrition works, the sheer number of people who apparently don't realize how many medical and adjacent concepts (BMI, IQ, your brain not being fully developed until age 25) are actually just bullshit...

On a related note, Wikipedia's list of common misconceptions is an absolutely fascinating read, and there are plenty of things on there that I'd love to hear people discussing more often. 

And since I'm apparently posting a song for each day of the week, here's one for Wednesday:

11 comments:

  1. There is so much misinformation out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said, Michael! 😊 Also, thanks for the link. It is indeed very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot going on over there, and I love the little note at the top of the article that basically says, "We don't think this page is ever really going to be complete."

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous link! Thank you for sharing. I'm going to have to print it, as it's too long to read on screen, but I'll agree that these fun facts would be fun to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I'm Pris cilla King and I'm still not giving Google extra cookies.)

      Delete
  4. I just got into D&D and finding people that are into it too is hard. I like talking about horror movies but, when I mention the dreaded h word people run away.

    While I missed this prompt. My answer to it would be I wish people would talk more about special ed. To be more clear I mean the kids that are label with ADHD, dyslexia, or "learning disabilities". While it can help kids and they will only be in special ed in elementary or middle school. By high school you come to the realization that your left there to rot and no one will think higher of you.
    There a lot more I had to say but, I will write that on my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go and read it, because those are really excellent points. The "Gifted Kid to burned out non-neurotypical adult" pipeline is real.

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!