Thursday, October 5, 2023

Paladins: Raven's Judgement and Conversion

Raven knocked on the door and Laina opened it. "I hope you didn't use up all the hot water."

"After three days in the coach?" asked Raven. "I drained it all out, and you should thank me for that. There's more in there now, and it's heating."

"Thank you," said Laina, and slipped past her out the door. 

Raven didn't let herself glance back. It was enough that the paladin let her come along; she wouldn't allow herself to intrude any further. Even if she made me tea. Even if she asked me to come and drink it with her. Instead, she crossed to the second bed, which was every bit as small and narrow as the first. Still, both were well padded and perfectly adequate; by the standards of the Temple of Amun they were even somewhat indulgent. 

She knelt beside the bed, laid her holy symbol on the blanket, and wrapped her arms around herself. Great God Amun, she prayed, Giver of Laws and Bringer of Justice, I beg you to hear me. I know my penance isn't done. I know I have not made amends. But I beg you... transfer my sentence to another. Let the All-Mother Nepthys take my soul into her care; let me work off my debt in her service.  

What filled the room then was a dual sense of presence. A woman's voice said, We come, and a man's voice said, We hear

That is all I ask, Raven prayed, shaping her unspoken words with care. Release me from your service, Amun, and bind me to that of Nepthys in its place. 

There was a momentary silence, but the sense of gathered powers did not diminish. 

Very few seek my service freely, and of their own will, said the woman's voice softly. Why would you? 

Raven gathered her courage. You know why.

I do, the Goddess acknowledged. Are you certain that you do? She does not love you. She has never even considered the possibility

Raven squeezed her eyes shut as the tears came. She knew, she knew, but hearing it stated so absolutely still hurt. I know, she acknowledged. But she is good to me, and I think I could be content just knowing that I do everything I can to keep her safe, and well, and happy. It seems to me that that would be easier in your service than in Amun's, but if I am mistaken... say so, and I will withdraw my request. She swallowed. 

There was another, longer silence. I will release you to this, said the titan's silent voice, if the Mother will have you, and if you vow to continue your work to pay your debt.

I swear it, Raven replied immediately. 

Very well. I will take her into my service, and she will be aid and companion to my paladin. Tomorrow they must slay a vampire, which will be no small thing. She will have more than adequate opportunity to redeem herself. 

Thank you, Raven thought, ugly-sobbing onto the sheets and the holy symbol of Amun all at once. Thank you both. Thank you so much.

Do not thank us yet, said Amun. Survive tomorrow, first. 

Okay, yeah, wow. So apparently Raven has A Past that she's trying -- or being forced -- to make up for. Or both. I did not see that coming. What did she do? How will Laina react? How the Hell should I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!