Tuesday, October 24, 2023

In the Blood

"Who is it?" he called. 

There was a momentary pause, before a woman's voice called back: "Cassie."

Chris hesitated, then turned back and opened the door. "Yes?"

The woman in front of him looked to be about his own age, petite and slender, with black hair cut short and sparkling blue eyes. Her skin was pale, but not unnaturally so. "Do I know you?" he asked. 

She shook her head. "No. But I heard about you, and I wanted to come check..."

Chris drew back: she had no scent of her own. "The magi looked me over already." 

"Please?" she asked. "They might have missed... they don't always know as much as they think they do."

"Okay, that's fair." He turned and moved back from the doorway. "Come in. Grundus said I should ask you what a master was anyway."

Cassie scowled briefly. "Grundus talks too much. He's good at what he does, but that doesn't make him any less of..." she let that thought trail off.

"So what brings you here?" Chris asked. "As you can see, I'm still just a wolf." 

Cassie motioned him closer, then reached up and turned his chin from side to side as she studied both sides of his neck. "Okay," she admitted, stepping back. "You didn't get bitten?"

Chris raised his eyebrows. "You're not going to check the rest of me?" He was in a tee shirt and sweatpants, having kicked off his running shoes the moment he came in the door. 

Cassie shook her head. "Not unless I need to." 

"No," said Chris. "I didn't get bitten. Didn't bite any of them, either. Ripped one's throat out, but that was with my fingers." 

"All right," said Cassie. "Can I ask you for a favor?" 

"Ask," said Chris. I may not answer, but I won't know until you ask.

"The master in the house," she said. "What did he look like?"

"I'm not really sure," Chris answered honestly. "Silver hair. Blurry. Almost misty. Dark coat and pants... I wasn't that close to it."

"Matteo," she said quietly, looking away. 

"Friend of yours?" asked Chris. Is this going to be a problem? 

Cassie turned her head back, met his eyes. "No," she said angrily. "He was a murdering bastard, if he was who I think he was. I'm glad you killed him."

Chris shrugged. "I'm just glad he didn't kill me," he admitted. 

There was a brief pause, and the Cassie asked: "How'd you manage it?"

"I ran away and set the place on fire," he told her, and she started to laugh. 

"Oh, he must have been surprised," she said. "So very surprised. And you still in your trial... I owe you a beer, friend. Let me know when you're ready to collect."

"Might be a while," Chris said cautiously. "I'm only eighteen."

Cassie shrugged. "Then it'll be a while. A debt's a debt." She backed towards the doorway. "Don't be a stranger."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!