Friday, October 13, 2023

Dark Armor: Accusations and Guilt

"You really shouldn't keep leading him on," Arwidden said, once the door of their coach was firmly closed. Their trunks were packed on top, and the four of them waited as the fire-haired coachman fussed over the flame-hooved horses outside. 

Ashmiren colored. "I'm not..." 

"It's not fair to him," Arwidden continued, relentless, "and honestly, I doubt you're doing yourself any kindness either."

Their mother was watching them, as was Kildren, but neither said anything. 

Ashmiren sighed. "I wasn't trying to lead him on," she said. "It was just... I like him. He isn't what I expected. And I know I'm promised to his brother, and he's promised to our sister, but... I don't know. It felt like he was trying to be nice me, and not out of duty or in search of advantage... just because it was something he wanted to do."

The High Magister Tamirya sighed. "I do regret that," she said. "If I could leave the first-prince of Teregor and our Shanyassa free and still guarantee our alliance by having the two of you marry instead, I would do it. But it isn't a sufficient pledge, nor a strong enough bond."

"I know," Ashmiren replied, quietly miserable. "We need the exchange, and I will see it done. I know my duty. I just... I worry that Shanyassa won't appreciate him. And I worry that his brother Ravaj won't appreciate me."

"I'm honestly more worried that their father is plotting to betray us," said Arwidden, darkly. "If you're going to continue to fraternize with the second-prince when our forces gather, see if you can find out what the House of Teres has planned."

Ashmiren was silent for a long moment. Then she said, "I'll do that." She felt guilty even agreeing, but Pallian knew how all this worked. He could watch out for himself. He'd better.

He'd have to.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!