Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Challenge: Favorite Scary Monster

(This post is part of the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge. You can find links to other writers' answers over at Long and Short Reviews.)

Prompt: Favorite Scary Monster

...Yes? All of them? 

Everything is true. God's an Astronaut. Oz is Over the Rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live... And you came to die.

Y'all, I'm a huge fan of monsters. Monsters as antagonists. Monsters as protagonists. Monsters just out there doing their own weird things and being kind of a scary nuisance/mortal danger in the process. 

Feed me, Seymour.

But I particularly enjoy the sorts of monsters that you have to discover. 

Something has attached itself to him. We have to get him to the infirmary right away.

Give me a monster where nobody's quite sure what's going on. Give me a monster where we aren't quite sure what it just did, let alone why. Give me a monster that makes the {decaying house/eerie catacombs/abandoned oil rig/derelict space shape} seem haunted with our ignorance of what we're up against. Force us to discover its patterns in order to survive. Force us to somehow outwit the monster that's hunting us. Force us to push past the terror in order to think, to explore, to test

Jack, you are a scientist; do you not think there are things in this Universe that you cannot understand and which are true?

My favorite scary monster is the Unknown.

13 comments:

  1. Ooh, good answer! yeah, that’s super scary and fun. :)

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a derelict space ship. I tend to lean more towards creepy stories than blood and gore. A mix of creepy and bloody can be good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to horror. I have watched (and enjoyed) some *amazingly* bad movies: some creepy, some bloody, some both.

      Delete
  3. I love that last line! And you're right. If the things we know scare us, what about the things we don't?

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answer! And, I believe you are right... it's the things we don't know that have the capacity to scare us he most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this answer.

    I liked other people's answers, too, and would have said so on their blogs if they used Blogspot. Since they don't, other people's answers get discussed in my post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had a chance to read around yet, but I'm very much looking forward to it.

      Delete
  6. Good answer. It tends to be less scary the more we explain about the monster.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!