Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Weekly Blogging Challenge: Favorite Hobby

Once again, I'm participating in the Wednseday Weekly Blogging Challenge. Today's theme is "What is your favorite hobby, and why?"

I'm tempted to start by listing sleep, because even though that's technically a necessity, I feel like I get so little of it that it's more like a hobby...

More seriously: at this point, I'd have to go with Dungeons and Dragons. It combines elements of writing and storytelling with a chance to socialize. (Or, as with last night when I was unable to attend, a chance to have people randomly text me with questions like, "Would Vendril be okay with having one of his eyes replaced with somebody else's eye, or should we let them possess one of the characters with an evil spirit instead? The replacement eye would let the cultists see what we were doing.") It also provides a chance to let of steam in other ways, like randomly murdering a bunch of cultists who really had it coming and taking all their treasure (hypothetically). But the big appeal, and the reason I've actually ranked it ahead of Writing, is that DnD is something that I can set aside a couple of hours once a week and actually, y'know, do.

Writing would, of course, be next on the list, and martial arts would be immediately after that. In both cases, though, I rarely feel like I can spare the time for them.

What? Oh. Yes, we let the evil spirit possess the paladin. The theory was that he was the most likely to be able to resist its influence. We are almost certainly going to turn out to have been wrong about that.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you joined in again this week.

    D&D was on my list, too! How long have you been playing it? Are you still running it for your kids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my teachers handed me a couple of DnD books when I was maybe twelve, and I read through them over and over, but I didn't find anybody to play with until a couple of years after that. So, um, a long time... but, shortly after the boys were born I found myself having less and less time for hobbies, and DnD was one of the first to go. I just picked it up again about a year ago.

      Delete
    2. Running it for my kids: I keep trying, but I don't have a lot of prep time. I think the next time I have a bit of free cash I'm going to purchase a pre-packaged adventure, which should resolve a lot of that issue.

      Delete
  2. I tried D&D years ago, but OMG it's HARD! I like the idea of sleep as hobby. Right there with you on the whole "not enough" thing. I'm here: here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be worth a second look. I stopped a few years back, at third edition, and 4th edition was apparently even more complicated... but the newest version (Fifth Edition or 5e) seems to be both simpler and better-organized.

      Delete
  3. Sleep as a hobby... yep. I can see that, getting up at 4 AM every morning. Saturday I don't have to set the alarm and it's glorious. My kids have played D&D, but I haven't. I'm not sure I'm smart enough :-) My post is here: https://jhthomas.blogspot.com/2019/03/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge-my.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked D&D, mainly because Vampire was too political. I was the kind of character who attacked everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My current group is still struggling with the "follow these lovely breadcrumbs into the plot" vs. "let's just be murder hobos" issue. It's not that we don't want the plot, exactly, it's just that every so often one of the characters will decide that they want to do their own thing, right now, and consequences be damned.

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!