So, Firstborn, in his role as a budding game designer, has come up with a new invention: checkers-chess.
Here's how you play:
1. Set up a chess board in the traditional fashion.
2. Add a row of checkers in front of the pawns on each side. Make sure the colors match.
3. Play. Everything moves and captures other pieces exactly the way they normally do in their respective games, except that the rule allowing pawns to move two spaces forward on the first movement does allow them to "slip past" the checkers.
4. Pour yourself a nice, stiff drink to help you recover afterwards.
5. Pass out with your son still begging you for another game.