Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Another One Gone

My mom's older sister has died. I'll be attending the funeral, which is going to make for a very long day since it's up in Oklahoma and I'd rather not stay the night unless I have to.

I don't know exactly what to say about this, because I didn't know her all that well; we mostly saw her on holidays. Still, I'm going to show up, in part because I don't think my own mother would ever have forgiven me if I didn't and in part because I haven't seen that side of the family in quite some time -- and I may not have that many more chances. 

She was very sweet, a dancer, and devoted to her family and her sisters. I once made a mixed tape for her to use for her dance lessons; it probably wasn't much help, since I was in my teens and most of what I had on tap was metal rather than dance music. And for all that I failed to keep in touch, she will assuredly be missed.

The rest of the world doesn't stop for anyone's death, of course; I'm fortunate that, at least for a single day, I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!