Monday, April 18, 2022

Camping

 There was camping. I am sooooo tired.

Follow-up:
So, the campsite we got this time is about 1/3 of a mile from the parking lot. The parking lot is where the restrooms are located. I am here to tell you that if I had to walk 1/3 of a mile every time I needed to use the restroom and/or brush my teeth, I would be in ferociously good shape. 

Plus, of course, that means that we had to haul everything we wanted out to the campsite. 

There were four of us out there -- myself and another dad (who is the GozarTD of the GozarTD D&D campaign), plus Secondborn and GozarTD's younger son. The boys are about two years apart in age, but they got on splendidly and just generally had a good time playing on the lake shore or whacking dead trees with machetes. 

Anyway, GozarTD came up with a more efficient way to get the Cart o' Stuff out to the campsite: he puts on a day pack that has a rope attached to the loop on the back; the other end of the rope is tied to the handle of the wagon, so the wagon just sort of follows him along. I liked this so much that I actually ordered one of those training harnesses that they use for football players and did basically the same thing. 

It is so much easier than pulling the wagon by hand. Except... part of the trail to the campsite is covered in sand. Soft sand. And we made several trips in, and several trips back out. And the wagon sort of... drags, when it hits the sand. So right now my legs and calves feel like I've been, I don't know, doing a lot of squats. Or dragging something heavy while using a harness. 

Camping with another adult lets us trade off on the cooking, which is nice, and also gives us an adult to talk to, which is also nice. Also, since this was Easter weekend, we went ahead and set up an egg hunt -- but no candy, because candy is bad for woodland critters. Instead, the eggs contained either money (small change) or D&D miniatures. Plus, GozarTD has an inflatable kayak, which allowed us to go row around Murder Goose Island, with the result that yeah, my arms are sore too. 

Plus sunburn. 

I'm starting to think that I should schedule to do this like every other weekend, at least through the end of May. I'd be in much better shape, much more able to face actual sunlight, and also pleasantly woodsmoke-flavored. 

Secondborn by Firelight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!