Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Not Like Other Girls

 "Okay, so what's she like?" 

"Well... I mean..." 

"It's okay. I'm your mother, you can tell me anything." 

"I... she's not like other girls?" 

"Really? 'Cause that's usually..." 

"I know, but... Okay, look: her eyes glow in the dark." 

"Unusual, sure. But, I mean, there are quite a few of the Tech caste that have that done, so they can do repairs..." 

"Yeah, it's... a little more than that." 

"Okay, how so?"

"Well, all right... she can cling to walls."

"What, like a spider?"

"Sort of, yeah." 

"I mean... yeah, but that's a common safety feature for Outwalkers who choose cyber-conversion..." 

"Mom. She's made out of shadows. Actual, literal shadows. She's only really tangible when it's dark. Davis tried to get in her face about something yesterday and she walked right through him." 

"..."
"..."
"...Oh. Not like other girls. Got it."

"Thanks, Mom. I knew you'd understand."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!