Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Not my finest moment

A couple of years ago, I was talking to the wife of one of my best friends. (She's a friend, too, but I've known him a lot longer and I basically met her through him.) She mentioned - I forget exactly why, but it had to do with whatever we were talking about - that her sister really didn't like me.

Being the sweet, lovable guy that I am, I found that a bit surprising. So I asked her why that might be, and she told me. And I realized that the sister's dislike was totally justified, even though I'd completely forgotten the incident in question.

Some years previously, I had attended a birthday party for another friend from college. This was shortly after I'd returned to Dallas/Fort Worth, and (by the same token) shortly after my divorce.

At that party, I met the sister. We'd met before, once or twice, but only in passing. In the course of talking to her, I learned that she was recently married. Being a recently-divorced twenty-something male, I just shook my head sadly. "It'll never last," I said, and walked away.

Not my finest moment.

(As it happens, I was not only out of line but also completely wrong. She's still married. So I absolutely deserve any ill-will and/or poor opinion she might have about me.)

4 comments:

  1. Me three. I swear one of these days I'll get that peppermint flavored shoe invention right. At least if I'm gonna put my foot in my mouth it'll taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said "it will never last" once before. I was right. :-(

    I remember as a young mother telling a *former* friend that women should stay home to care for their children. (Shoot me now!) I am still haunted by such a statement. Stupid stupid me. :-(

    ... Zoe ~

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!