Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Challenge: Favorite Fairy Tale

(This post is part of the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge. You can find links to other writers' answers over at Long and Short Reviews.)

Prompt: Favorite Fairy Tale or Legend and why.

You'd think with my interests and reading habits that this one would be easy, but I actually had real trouble coming up with something. It's much easier if I include myths in the mix as well, but I also think of those as a different category of things from Fairy Tales and Legends, so I'm not using any of them. (I think it's completely fair if anybody else decides to go that way with their answer, though.)

But while I have issues trying to come up with a favorite fairy tale, I do have a weakness for a well-done fairy tale retelling. And this particular one is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, from the perspective of the hapless fairy who's desperately trying to keep her from awakening and escaping the tower to do horrible things... and has been stuck in the empty castle for centuries in the process.

The book is Thornhedge by T. Kingfisher, and I highly recommend it.


8 comments:

  1. What a surprise! I came to your site fully expecting you to have like six different favourites. LOL.

    I’ve heard good things about Thornhedge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! But I swear, I looked at that prompt and just drew a complete blank.

      Delete
  2. Have you heard of Mercedes Lackey? She does retellings, but with a twist: her stories are set in a land actively shaped by The Tradition, which tries to make people whose lives fit some stereotypes retell stories that USE those stereotypes. Some resist, some go with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good retelling. I'll have to give that a read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the current trend of taking the character who we think is bad (like "Wicked" or "Maleficent") and show their backstory. And your suggestion sounds *kind of* like that. Showing that maybe there's more to the story than we think...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Eleanor Farjeon's retellings as a kid, then discovered Pamela Dean's as an adult. Never heard of T. Kingfisher but now I'll have to look person up.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!