Friday, September 11, 2020

Never Forget

I was going to write something here about 9/11, politicized tragedies, and how "never forget" is actually horrible advice, but... I'm tired. Yes, I can still tell you exactly where I was when the towers came down; but no, I don't think that's actually a good thing.

That's not meant as a dismissal of the event itself or the legitimate tragedy involved; it's just that if we're really going to "never forget" then we need to remember, in detail, all the evil we did in response and how that all unfolded. And somehow, none of the sorts of people who keep urging us to "never forget" seem to want to talk about that.

So, yeah: I'm tired. Let it go.

1 comment:

  1. Spot on, Michael. Our country has yet to have an honest discussion about 9-11. We are expected to bow and repeat the mantra, “Never Forget.” Well, I sure as hell haven’t forgotten. Yes, from planes crashing into buildings to mythical weapons of mass destruction to the slaughter of civilians by American soldiers. Indeed, let’s “Never Forget.”

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!