Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Challenge: Things I Collect

This is part of the weekly Blogging Challenge over at Long and Short Reviews. If you'd like to participate, you can find the prompts here. They also put up a post every Wednesday where you go and link your response -- and see everyone else's. Check out their homepage to find it.

This week's challenge is "things I collect".

Which is, for me, an interesting topic — I mean, anything I collect, I'm going to be interested in, right? So let's see...
  • Melee weapons, mostly swords, but also staves and polearms. The two I'm most proud of are a custom sword that's sort of a cross between a viking sword and a jian ("Tai Chi sword") and a nagamaki, which is... picture a samurai sword, but with the handle every bit as long as the blade. It's an odd, in-between weapon, not a sword but not quite a full polearm either. I stopped collecting weapons about the time our kids came along, so it's been a few years now, but I'm still well-prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse.

  • Ceramic mugs. This was kind of what replaced the weapon purchases, honestly. There's a particular potter who does very distinctive work, and I've been buying things from him at the local renfest, once a year, for an embarrassingly long time. Those aren't the whole of the collection, but they're a good third of it.
  • DnD miniatures, both the unpainted metal ones — that collection goes back to my childhood — and the pre-painted plastic ones they have available now. They're basically little fantasy statues, usually about an inch high, and they're just fun to look at. Not to mention the sheer joy of pulling out exactly the right model in the middle of a game and watching the players gape when they realize just how much trouble they're in.
  • Books.
So, what do you collect?

12 comments:

  1. Those melee weapons are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From top to bottom, they're a naginata, a huyadao (misnamed for marketing as a pudao), and the nagamaki. I don't have the huyadao anymore, but it was more of a performance/display piece than an actual weapon. If I were going to commission another custom piece, I'd get a proper huyadao made.

      Delete
  2. I'd love a sword collection, but I'm clumsy and would likely die, literally, by my own sword. Hahaha.

    Ceramic mugs are also a draw for me despite the fact I don't drink hot drinks.

    My husband had a friend who paints miniatures. It's really neat what he's made over the years.

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been good at painting them (and I don't trust my eyesight anymore anyway) so the metal ones remain unpainted. I'm impressed by anybody who can, though.

      Delete
  3. My son had a gladius, but the Air Force made him get rid of it. https://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/07/wc-071520.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know the first thing about swords and weapons, but you do, and that's what matters. That's cool it's something you collect. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! To each their own, especially when it comes to interests.

      Delete
  5. Wow nice weapon collection. DnD are fun to collect, hubby has a few. I enjoyed your post. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine. https://www.tenastetler.com/things-i-collect-lsr-wednesdayblogchallenge/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have mugs, but I do have a collection of glasses. Nearly every time a beer or cider company brings one out I'll grab it. Good post!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!