Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Blogging Challenge: Books I Want Youth To Discover

This is part of the Weekly Wednesday Blogging Challenge over at Long and Short Reviews. This week's challenge is Books I Want Youth To Discover.

As the father of two boys (currently aged 9 and 12), this is such a day-to-day consideration that I'm not immediately sure where to start. Naturally I want them to love the books that I loved, and to enjoy the authors that I enjoy. Naturally, that doesn't always work the way I'd hoped -- I once recommended a book to Firstborn that seemed like a quirky story about a mimic that escapes its dungeon and has to figure out how to make its way in the world; three pages later I discovered that the book was wildly inappropriate for children, but by then he'd already finished it. But generally... yeah, I'm passing book recommendations to the boys as frequently as I can.

Well, I mean, there's Harry Potter of course, but I imagine that's going to head a lot of people's lists. So let's look at some of the ones that are less obvious.

Emilie and the Hollow World and its sequel, Emilie and the Sky World (both of which were available as e-books, I swear) are really excellent and deeply underrated YA books by Martha Wells, author of The Murderbot Diaries. I would love for these to have the popularity they deserve. You have a teenage heroine who is brave but not fearless, a sort of steampunk-and-magic setting, and some really lovely exploration-adventure-danger sequences. (I also would love to see a third title in this series.)

Joan D Vinge's Cat series (Psion, Catspaw, and Dreamfall) is an older series, where the protagonist is a half-alien telepath who keeps getting dragged into trouble because of his powers, and because of his sense of social conscience.

For Love of Mother Not, the first (though not first-published) of the Flinx and Pip adventures, about a young boy with erratic psychic/empathic powers and his acid-spitting winged snake. (Who wouldn't like to have an acid-spitting flying snake?) In the first book, Flinx's adoptive mother gets kidnapped and Flinx sets out find her. As the series progresses, there are ancient alien artifacts, strange new races, and a growing threat gathering at the edge of the galaxy.

...Apparently I have a bit of a space adventures theme going on here.

Anyway, that's my top-of-my-head list. I mean, there are others that we've had some wild success getting Firstborn to read -- Harriet Hamster and Danny Dragonbreath, both series by Ursula Vernon, the Wings of Fire series by Tui T. Sutherland -- but those are modern and already quite popular, and not really much in need of being discovered.

I'll come back and update if I think of any more likely candidates before I publish this.

Oh! Late shout-out to one Beautiful Wife's early favorites: Crusade in Jeans. It's the story of a kid who gets sent back in time and gets caught up in the Children's Crusade.

13 comments:

  1. Wow Michael, you have some I need to look at but...I should have thought of Harry Potter. Even though I loved each story, rolling the words around on my tongue out loud were a great education. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little surprised it didn't show up on more lists. So far, it looks like A Tree Grows In Brooklyn is the most popular selection.

      Delete
  2. I purposefully kept Harry Potter off of my list because I assumed everyone else would be mentioning it. LOL!

    I haven't read most of the other books on your list, but I'm looking them up now. They sound good.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your suggestions - and the TTT list was very cool too!

      Delete
  3. Great list, I hadn't heard of any of these outside of Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry Potter is a good one. Hunger Games, too. Good list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never managed to read the Hunger Games (or even watch the movies) but I think I really should.

      Delete
  5. great list... adding these to my TBR list. They sound awesome (and I'm not a kid... lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG ... I'd completely forgotten about "For Love of Mother Not"!! I loved that book. Or even "Five Children and It", also not as well known, but a good read. Sorry so late commenting, long story as to why, but know I was looking forward to getting here and seeing what you had to contribute :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. I've never heard of Five Children and It, but it looks fascinating. I'll have to give it a read.

      Delete
  7. I completely forgot about Harry Potter. Definitely one everyone should read.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!