Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Seasons of Life



I'm currently suffering from the depressing suspicion that I'm not on a new season at all; my life has basically gone into re-runs.

("Oh, yeah! This was the episode where he was trying to finish a project and his boss kept interrupting him to test something in a completely different program! I remember that one.")

I mean, we're doing okay. We have food, clothing, shelter, and a working marriage. We even have some money to spend on frivolities. This isn't any sort of acute crisis. It's just a recurrent feeling that I'm not making any sort of progress; that I'm stalled, blocked, walled in. I can do enough to keep up, but only barely. I can't seem to get ahead.

I probably need more sleep. Maybe some major life changes, too. (I can work on those in my copious spare time, right?) I dunno. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. "It's just a recurrent feeling that I'm not making any sort of progress; that I'm stalled, blocked, walled in."

    Life isn't about progress, Michael. Life *is* about change but change isn't continual. If you're in a period of relative stasis now and not in a bad way, take it for what it is and enjoy it. Change will come sooner or later, some good and some bad.

    This has been "Advice from a stoic." We now return you to your regularly scheduled program, "Ennui."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with August. That is some great advice which I will also be taking for myself! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!