Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Blogging Challenge: Childhood Songs

(This post is part of the Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge. You can find links to other writers' answers over at Long and Short Reviews. I have not been following along as reliably this year as I did in previous years, but I'm still participating! Mostly.)

Prompt: Songs that confused me when I was a kid...

I don't remember being especially confused by songs I heard as a kid. I really don't...

But in the course of talking about this with a friend of mine I got reminded of a couple of childhood songs that... well... have kind of a different flavor from what I hear of kids' songs these days. I wasn't confused about them, but I think they might be a bit confusing to modern children just because the entire genre seems to have gone out of fashion. 

Case in point: 

Or how about this one?

Or there's, well...

Okay, this last one isn't strictly a children's song, but I'm throwing it in here anyway because apparently I'm in a mood:

11 comments:

  1. From what I've seen my nephew's watching over the years, kid's songs seem to have gotten dumber. I'm lookin' at you Baby Shark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must agree with you there, George!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, that one's a whole different approach; it's trying for catchy instead of smart.

      Delete
  2. I liked this genre of children’s songs when I was a kid. It’s too bad they have fallen out of fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I was trying to think of any recent equivalents and I can't come up with much of anything. I hope that's a failure on my part instead of the culture's...

      Delete
  3. Good song picks!

    Pris cilla King

    (Google is acting weird about the fact that I've blocked cookies. Some Blogger/Blogspot blogs recognize me; some don't. I'm logged into Google.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've had a few issues and had to turn of the Enhanced Tracking Protection in Firefox for some blogspot blogs (including this one). No worries; do what you need to do.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I can see those would have thrown me a bit as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a 1988 Canadian short film called the Cat Came Back that was a scream - and I assume inspired by the old song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that! I stumbled across it while looking for this version of the song.

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!