Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Duendewood: Acting Head of House Dwint’lithar

Joseph R. Pious sat back in his father's chair and regarded the human in front of him. "Yes indeed, Sir," he said in Common. "I am acting head of House Dwint’lithar." 

The human blinked, then frowned. "We were told that the head of House Dwint'lithar was the infamous Martini Grey." She wore a military uniform, well cared for but also well worn, and her soldiers were currently searching the house -- ostensibly looking for Martini and Azrael, but Joe had no doubt that any number of small valuables would be missing by the time they were through. He would count the House lucky if theft was the worst they did.

"She would be, if she were here," Joe repeated calmly. "I have not seen my sister in over two years."

The woman looked him over, once again taking in his obvious youth, and sighed. "I was ordered to bring the head of House Dwint'lithar to King Lamont. If this Martini cannot be found, then I suppose that must be you." 

"I doubt his majesty will be satisfied with me," observed Joe. "I know nothing that would interest him, and have nothing to offer him. I am more than occupied with the business of keeping my House together." He was, in fact, floundering, and likely would have had to dissolve the household if the retainers hadn't been loyal and experienced enough to walk him through the worst of the difficulties. He sighed. "I will go if I must, of course, but I don't see how that would benefit any of us."

"Take him," said a black-robed figure as he stepped in through the doorway. He was a true elf, but the sigils on his robe marked him as a priest of Appollyon. "The King's Questioners will learn what he knows."

Joe sighed. "Seriously? You're a cleric. Cast one of your truth-telling spells and ask me anything. You'll get far better answers than torture will give you. And it won't change the fact that I don't know anything worthwhile."

"Insolent youth," answered the priest. He stepped up beside the soldier, looked at her, and then looked back at Joe. "Take him prisoner. Take him prisoner, or I will order it myself."

"You know," said Joe, leaning back in his father's chair, "they told me you'd say that."

"Who--" The priest's question was cut off by the greatsword blade that emerged from his chest, twisting as it raised him off the ground. He gasped, clawing at the blade, trying to find a way to work himself loose. 

The woman spun around, but Leander the Elf was standing behind her, rapier upraised, and she only managed to slam her shoulder onto its tip. Her leather armor was not enough to stop the blow, especially when the True Elf pressed forward to drive it in deeper. 

"Apologies, my dear," said Leander, snaking a hand forward to draw her sword from its sheath and toss it behind him. "But young Joseph here does not know where his sister is at present, and neither do we. So we really can't have you just arbitrarily wandering off with him."

From behind the desk, Joe watched Sam effortlessly lift the priest into the air, wrenching her blade back and forth inside his chest as she held him overhead. The man was still clutching at the blade, cutting his own palms on it, but the effort was futile. 

"My soldiers--" gasped the human woman. 

"...Have fallen to the King's Own," Leander told her. "It's a pity, really. I almost liked you." 

She tried to step back, but he moved with her effortlessly and opened her throat with the dagger in his free hand.

Joe shuddered, feeling momentarily faint. He'd known this meeting might end in violence, but this was his first time seeing it. He hadn't expected so much blood.

He hadn't expected to be squeamish, either. 

"Well," he said. "I suppose I'm due for a trip to the countryside, to calm my nerves and recover my senses." It was sheer bravado, the best he could come up with, but the black-skinned half-dragon smiled and nodded. 

"I fear so," said Saminansa Eldrish. "Darvinin, can you hear me? You and the resistance can take it from here. The debt's repaid."

"In full," said Darvinin, stepping into the room as she let the priest fall and extracted her blade, then stepped in to behead him. Darvinin was at least someone that Joe recognized, though he'd been closer to Lilly and Fartathren than he ever had to Joe.  If it hadn't been for him, Joe would never have agreed to accept the protection of the others. 

Sam nodded and walked away; Leander the Elf offered Joe a respectful bow and said, "You handled that well, kid." Then he too turned and walked away. 

Joseph R. Pious, acting head of House Dwint'lithar, turned to look at Darvinin. "What happens now?"

"Now," said the Eldritch Knight, "We get you to safety."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!