Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Challenge: What I Read When I'm Not Feeling Well

Right, so, the usual bit of context: Weekly Blogging Challenge over at Long and Short Reviews. Hit their homepage to see the current week's responses, and add a link to your own if you're so inclined.

This week's challenge is: What I Read When I'm Not Feeling Well.

This one, for me, is pretty easy: I go back to books that I've enjoyed before. It's like comfort food, but with reading.

...Which is really too short for this sort of blogging challenge, so let me point to some examples. If I remember, the last time I was really sick -- like, just-lying-around-the-house-for-several-days sick -- I found myself on a Jennifer Crusie kick, and re-read both Welcome to Temptation and Bet Me. (If that sounds like an awesome two-fer, there's a bundle.)

The time before that was a bit atypical, as it was a favorite author but a new book; I wound up reading The Harbors of the Sun by Martha wells why trying to shake off the flu. (It was a very enjoyable way to pass the time, but I had to go back and re-read it a couple of months later, what with the fever and all.)

Other common choices have included Terry Pratchett, Roger Zelazny, and a wide variety of graphic novels.

So yeah: when I'm not feeling well, I go back to the comforting and familiar. Don't we all?

10 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a re-reader, but I can definitely get behind picking up something by a favorite author!

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re-reading is a great idea for when you're sick. You don't have to put as much brain power into following the plot. Ha!

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with re-reading or in my case listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, either way - and I can see where audiobooks would actually be preferable, especially with certain kinds of maladies.

      Delete
  4. Yep, comfort reading when you are feeling bad. But you do miss things when your brain is not feeling well too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (...If we're being honest I sometimes miss things even when my brain is ostensibly awake and alert!)

      Delete
  5. I've heard great things about Terry Pratchett books. Must check them out. I'm on a kick reading about all things space and NASA. I know. I'm odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about that; that actually sounds pretty cool. And all the really *interesting* people I know are the ones who get interested in something and just head off to start learning more about it.

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!