Wednesday, September 26, 2018

"Ugh," explicated

So, since sometime around Sunday evening, the entire family has been sick. No fevers, so we're still sending the boys off to school, but I took Monday and Tuesday off (and I really need to be at work when this posts, regardless of how I might be feeling). But headaches, stuffiness, touches of nausea, that sort of thing. Lots and lots of that sort of thing.

It might just be allergies. Mold and fungus counts are apparently insanely high right now. But... well... I'm still feeling pretty ooky even after spending all day at home, and my immune system is acting like it's taken a serious hit, so... I don't know.

It's not just that I hate feeling like this. What I really hate is the fact that I can't tell. Am I wildly contagious with something horrible, and morally obligated to avoid human contact until it's gone? Would I be okay with maybe some Motrin and Benadryl and a crapload of caffeine to balance against the drowsiness? Who can tell?

All I can say is that it better not be flu.

I just got the flu shot on Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. The problem with flu shots is that it takes about two weeks for them to take full effect, so if you were exposed before the shot, it won't help you, since the incubation period for the flu is about a week.

    A bad reaction to the shot should be unpleasant but mild unless we're talking about something like full blown anaphylaxis, but if you've had the shots before, I wouldn't expect that. Also the onset of anaphylaxis is under an hour after exposure and is an obvious "Call an ambulance now" situation. Now being able to breathe will do that to a person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever this is, I'm pretty sure it isn't a reaction to the flu shot. My arm was sore for about 48 hours, but that's the only bit I'd attribute to the shot - for everything else, all four of us (me, Beautiful Wife, both boys) have had the same symptoms, and I'm the only one to get the shot this weekend. (Everybody else did it earlier.)

      It does seem to be starting to clear up now, so I'm pretty sure it's not flu. Still not sure if it's allergies or some little microorganism, though.

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!