Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Study in Fairness

When I was younger, my mom took my brother and myself to see a movie. I was around ten or twelve, I think; my brother is two years younger than I am. I don't remember what the movie was, or why Mom had taken us by herself. No, what sticks in my memory is a conversation we had in the lobby. I'm paraphrasing, of course, but it went a bit like this:

Me: "Can we get popcorn?"
Brother: "Mmm. Popcorn."
Mom: "No, we don't have money for that."
Me: "Okay." (Heads for snack counter)
Mom: "Where are you...?"
Me: "I've got some money."
Brother: "Wait, that's not fair.
I don't have any money."
Mom: "Okay, fine, here's some money."
Me: "Wait, that's not fair. You'll pay for his popcorn but not mine?"
Mom: (Sighs) "Okay, here's some money for you, too."
Us: "Thanks!" (Head for snack counter)
Mom: "Wait, how did I just end up paying for popcorn?"

The scary part is, it was completely innocent. We really didn't set out to grift our mom. Sure worked out that way, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments; it lets me know that people are actually reading my blog. Interesting tangents and topic drift just add flavor. Linking to your own stuff is fine, as long as it's at least loosely relevant. Be civil, and have fun!